While the majority of repiping jobs fall between $4,200 and $6,000 on average when installing PEX pipes, the cost to repipe a house can range anywhere from $1,500 to $15,000+ depending on a variety of variables:
- House size and number of stories: To completely repipe a larger house, more piping materials and more hours of labor are necessary to install the new plumbing system, increasing the cost. Conversely, a smaller home requires fewer materials and less labor, decreasing the cost. And when repiping a multi-story home, cost further increases because walls must be demolished in order to replace vertical pipes.
- Number of plumbing fixtures: Connected to the plumbing system, plumbing fixtures are used to drain and deliver water. Fixtures include sinks, toilets, dishwashers, showers, water heater, bathtub, washing machines, and any faucets. The more fixtures in a house, the higher the cost to repipe due to increased materials and time needed to install new pipes.
- Ease of pipe accessibility: Portions of the plumbing system that are only accessible through closets or small crawlspaces cost more to replace than sections that run behind walls. Due to the limited space, it requires additional effort and time to remove the old pipes and install the new pipes.
- Diameter of the pipe: Cost of piping material increases as the diameter increases.
- Type of pipe being installed: Different piping materials incur different costs: